GarrysMod console not displaying out put and not responding to commands.



  • Hey guys, I have a slightly bizarre issue
    I was trying to install a GarrysMod DS using the panel using

    Server Plugin: srcds
    App ID: 4020
    Game Type: garrysmod
    IP: <my address>
    Port: 27039

    The bizarre thing is that the server works - I can connect to it with my game, but the console output is incredibly slow and I can't send any text commands to the server either.
    The really odd thing is that steamcmd's console output is slow too, going from Waiting for license info...OK, takes a couple minutes of showing nothing happening, and then all of a sudden spits out all the download progress text from 0% to Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 54.1 (the line is cut off in the console, it''ll usually show byte progress such as Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 98.05 (3750327699 / 3824998942)), then takes another couple minutes of showing nothing happening, and then spits out all of the progress all at once showing Success! App '4020' fully installed.

    When trying to start the game server itself, the server does start but the console seems unresponsive not showing all the output and not taking any commands, showing just the following and nothing else (maybe the console is that slow?)

    Starting server
    Auto detecting CPU
    Using default binary: ./srcds_linux
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4000
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
    

    When I try to connect to the server using my GarrysMod client, the server is working.

    The other funny thing is that I also installed a TF2 DS and a CSSource DS and they both work perfectly.
    I also made a copy of the tf2.json template, and replaced +app_update 232330 to +app_update 4020 and "-game tf", to "-game garrysmod", and the same thing happens to both SteamCMD and the GarrysMod DS.

    I have updated to using PufferPanel 1.1.2 and pufferd 1.1.3 on Ubuntu 16.04.2

    I wonder if it's GarrysMod specific, and if so, why

    Thanks in advance!



  • I may have found a work around.

    EDIT 2: Whee Progress! I added the following to the server's JSON file (/var/lib/pufferd/servers/randomnumbers.json), after reading https://pufferd.pufferpanel.com/docs/creating-pufferd-templates. That got console to work until I restarted pufferd

        "environment": {
          "type": "tty"
        },
    

    EDIT 3: So, it turns out that the tty setting I mentioned above kept getting removed from the server's JSON file and was causing it to revert back to the standard console, which didn't work. As a dinky work around, I revoked pufferd's write access to the JSON file and console works again, even when I restart the server or pufferd

    The panel can successfully install both install TF2's DS (App ID: 232250) and Counter Stike Source's DS (App ID: 232330), both of which have App IDs that are 6 digits long.
    However, Garry's Mod Dedicated Server's ID is 4020, which is 4 digits long. To make it 6 characters, I added leading zeros to make it 004020.

    Both steamcmd's and the in-game's console both work normally now.
    So, if you also have a slow console, try adding leading zeros to make the ID six digits long.
    EDIT: I installed CSGO's DS. CSGO's DS has an ID of 740, which is shorter, but works just fine without the need to pad extra leading zeros. This is weird.
    (All of the striked-out text above is gibberish. The possible reason why the 004020 zero thing may have worked because I forgot that I also added the tty setting to the templates when I was padding the zeros.)
    EDIT: After restarting the server, the problems come back.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to PufferPanel Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.