Timing Out when trying to connect to MC server

• I got PufferPanel installed on my VPS today for the first time. Everything appears to be working properly except for the fact that I can't connect to the Minecraft server in-game. In the server list it says "Pinging..." and never actually shows the status, and when I try to log in, it says "Logging in..." for about 20-30 seconds then says "Timed Out".

The strange part is that other people are able to connect, and I'm able to connect to other servers. I've never had an issue like this before with any other server. For the life of me I can't imagine what would be causing me to be unable to connect to this particular server, while everyone else can. I'm able to log in to the web panel just fine, it's only in game.

Yes, my Java is up to date. I updated to Java 8 on the VPS as well. Here's the IP if anyone wants to test it out: 158.69.199.111:25565

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Hey !
    Did you have any firewall on the server, like iptables or other ?
    Can you post the output of :

sudo iptables -L

• Do you have any firewall?
    For example ubuntu use ufw by default...

• @See86 said in Timing Out when trying to connect to MC server:

Hey !
    Did you have any firewall on the server, like iptables or other ?
    Can you post the output of :

sudo iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:domain
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:domain
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:bootps
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:bootps

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere

• @Pandry said in Timing Out when trying to connect to MC server:

Do you have any firewall?
    For example ubuntu use ufw by default...

I have whatever is default (iptables I think) for Ubuntu Server 15.10. I haven't done anything with it except for specifically allowing port 25565.
    Again, other people are able to log in, it's just me that can't, and I'm able to access the web panel.

• Can you try to connect to your minecraft server with your pc on other connection like cellular data or try to connect from any other computer on the same network as your actual computer.

Can you try to connect to your minecraft server with your pc on other connection like cellular data or try to connect from any other computer on the same network as your actual computer.

I tried it on another PC on the same network and it still wouldn't connect. I tried it while connected to a VPN and I was able to connect, so it would appear that maybe it has something to do with my router, which is set to use OpenDNS.

I don't understand why I'm able to access the web panel and everything, but just can't connect in-game. I've run a server on this VPS before and it was just fine.

I'm going to reinstall Ubuntu and setup a standard Spigot server without PufferPanel and see if that changes anything.

• That your router where the probleme are located ;)
    Check if your have rules on it that can block this port.

That your router where the probleme are located ;)
    Check if your have rules on it that can block this port.

Port 25565? No, since I'm able to connect to other servers.

• Well even with a regular Spigot server running, I still can't connect. It makes no sense, I've connected to servers running on this same VPS not long ago...

• Try to change the port of your minecraft server and try to reset your router.

Try to change the port of your minecraft server and try to reset your router.

Changing the server port worked, I didn't have to touch the router. I would like to be able to use default port though...

It makes no sense that I'm able to connect to other servers that use the same port (25565), and that other people are able to connect to my server using 25565...

• For me it's your router the problem. Try to reset im or if he have a firewall try to desactivate it.

For me it's your router the problem. Try to reset im or if he have a firewall try to desactivate it.

I don't think my router has anything to do with it. Like I said, I'm able to connect to other servers just fine. I also tested it by connecting directly to my modem, thus bypassing the router, and I still wasn't able to connect while the server was using port 25565.

• @Diamond_King said in Timing Out when trying to connect to MC server:

I tried it on another PC on the same network and it still wouldn't connect. I tried it while connected to a VPN and I was able to connect, so it would appear that maybe it has something to do with my router, which is set to use OpenDNS.

If other pc of the network has the same probleme your computer is not the problem

@Diamond_King said in Timing Out when trying to connect to MC server:

If other pc of the network has the same probleme your computer is not the problem

Yeah, I didn't think that it was...

Looks like your connection to PufferPanel Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.